Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 4

What did I learn?
I love the example of students turning in a photo of a normal distribution. I've heard of doing this with parabolas. I teach algebra 1a and I'm wondering how this assignment can be meaningful with linear patterns. Lines abound, of course, but many are not that interesting from a math stand point.

What do I want to know more about?
I still want to know how to use photos and video to measure and graph and model motion. I'm emailing Dan Meyer (of the blog dy/dan) to see if he will share how he did it.

How do you use Sketchpad with students in way that is more open ended rather than cookbook style?

How can I connect this stuff to the classroom?
My biggest take away here was using digital story or movie software for kids to create math stories. This is something I want to think more about (for example: which unit, when, requirements, etc.) My first though was to do graph stories.

No comments: