Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 1

1. Describe something you learned
2. Questions you have or something you would like to learn more about
3. Describe connections to classroom practice

I learned some stuff about how to use Geometer's Sketchpad. I've used it, like, once before. I certainly didn't remember anything. I feel more confident and excited about using it in the future. I would have liked to do more advanced stuff with Geometer's Sketchpad. Like how do you use GS for algebra or calculus. I also would have liked to spend some time thinking about how to make these activities more inquiry based. These activities were so structured and did not harness the natural curiousity of students. For example, the quadrilaterals and triangles activities could have been way more open ended, asking for students to make some generalization about angle or side relationships without asking for all the side or angle measures first.

I would also like to learn more about how to use video for math. I'm thinking about a couple of lessons I read about on dy/dan's blog. One overlaid a ruler over a photo. Another overlaid a graph on top of video. I think that stuff is cool, and I'd like to learn more about it. Because I'm kind of a technophobe, I'm not the biggest risk-taker with technology and appreciate a little hand-holding.

No comments: